Anna and Kristina’s picks for Mother’s Day gifts
Here’s a gift buying guide from smart shoppers Anna W Fred Perry allner and Kristina Matisic, formerly of the W Network show The Shopping Bags and Anna and Kristina’s Grocery Bag:
1. If your mom’s a wiz in the kitchen, try for something personal; a cookbook ma Fred Perry de up of all her recipes. Add pictures, cooking tips, fun anecdotes and comments from family and friends to create a one of a kind family treasure trove.
2. Give your mom the gift of song through her own Fred Perry MP3 player. But don’t stop there. Load it with her favourite tunes so it’s ready to play when she goes for a walk or wants to relax in a lounge chair in the back yard.
3. Jewelry is always appreciated! Give your mom a dog tag necklace (think Tiffany’s, not the Army) with her name and the names of all her children engraved on the back. That way she’ll always be carrying you close to her heart. This is especially good for the new mom.
4. The latest Michelin travel guide is perfect for the globetrotting mom. It’s considered the gold standard for restaurant and hotel recommendations.
5. Take that travel guide up a notch and whisk her away to the book’s destination.
6. You don’t need to go big this Mother’s Day to make an impact. One of our favourite gift ideas is a letter, telling her why she is so special and loved. Write down all the stuff you wish you’d said more often, but haven’t.
7. Flowers are another traditional standby. But go a step further by taking a cue from floriography, a Victorian era study where flowers were used to convey secret messages. Choose Hyacinths for constancy or simple spring Daffodils that signify respect. Include a card that explains your flowers of choice.
8. Remember all those back to school shopping trips your mom took you on? Time to return the favour! This mother’s day, take your mom on a shopping trip and treat her to a fabulous blousy top, dress or pair of sandals in one of these season’s vibrant hues.
9. Whether it’s fancy face cream, a gourmet olive oil or a pair of silk hose, every woman has a favourite product that she covets. She would love you to replenish her supply (and it sends the message that you know what she loves).
10. A way to a mother’s heart is often through her stomach! She’s been cooking for you for years. This Mother’s day, prepare a special meal for her. And if you’re cooking challenged, take her out to her favourite restaurant. Yes, this is an old standby but the idea is to spend time together, something all moms love.
E mail this ArticleShare this Article
Best of food and drink this week: Mother’s Day editionA round up of some of our favourite recipes and food related features this week including an ingredient spotlight on coconut, baking from scratch simplified.